Donna McGhee - Make It Last Forever

Boogie, Modern Soul, Disco Boogie, Disco Funk, Disco Soul…

Funky admins : funkiness, Wonder B, silverfox

Phil

Donna McGhee - Make It Last Forever - LP (1978)

Message par Phil »

Tu es pardonné Wonder. ;)

It's what's in the grooves that count
Wonder B

Donna McGhee - Make It Last Forever - LP (Red Greg, 1978)

Message par Wonder B »

Merci Phil je n'en attendais pas moins de toi. Ta mansuétude te grandit! LOL
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
MrNovember

Message par MrNovember »

Juste une question que je me suis toujours posé sans avoir la réponse, est-elle de la famille de Jacci McGhee qui avait chanté "Make It Last Forever" avec Keith Sweat :roll:
Huggy Bear

Message par Huggy Bear »

Concernant ''It Ain’t No Big Thing'' je préfère la version de Rainbow Brown.
Je savais pas non plus qu'elle faisait partie du groupe FatBack Band.
funkiness
Site Admin

Message par funkiness »

Up pour les retardataires !
funkiness brings you funk and happiness
Revpop

Message par Revpop »

Funkiness, j'apprécie beaucoup alors que circonspect aurait été le mot pour qualifier mon attitude à l'écoute de cet album (et je ne te parle pas de l'avant... Les sourcils froncés et le ricanement apparent) j'ai été donc agréablement surpris, surpris par les charmes de cette dame et la composition des chansons qui dégage un parfum enivrant et nostalgique à la fois.

Je mets le seul extrait qui manquait Do As I Do :

J'en ai profité pour fureter sur FunkMysoul où l'on parle d'elle et d''autres pépites deep disco : "If you liked the smoked-out, trippy elegance of the disco masterpiece Atmosphere Strut by Cloud One, then think of Make It Last Forever as its sleazier, funkier counterpart."

Alors de fil en fox, dans les méandres de mes digressions, je suis littéralement tombé amoureux de ce morceau qu'un internaute a qualifié de "Celestial funk", de funk près des nuages :
Le Dust To Dust de Cloud One :

Sinon voici une interview de Donna McGhee dans laquelle l'interviewer proclame que "Make It Last Forever" est son album disco favori...

l'interview de Donna McGhee

Eventually Greg & Patrick decided to produce a solo LP for you. "Make It Last Forever" is my favorite disco LP ever, hands down. From the instrumentation, to the vocal delivery as well as the lyrics, this just does it for me. What was it like working with Patrick and Greg? What was the song writing process like? Were you involved in that at all?
Also upon listening to the LP, there seems to be a lot of overdubbing, and the songs are incredibly long. How many sessions, and how many takes were needed to achieve this? Overall, How long did the album take to finish?

Greg Carmichael who owned Red Greg Records, came to me and said he wanted to do a solo LP on me, and I agreed to do it. Patrick Adams and Greg took me into the studio and with the great writing of these two great producers, "Make It Last Forever" became a wonderful project and a record that still today is played and respected by many. Working with Patrick and Greg was a wonderful experience, we had fun collabrating together. They let me use my creativity in the making of the LP, that is why it has a touch of love from all three of us. The LP had its foundation, however we all had a great imput in creating the LP. There might have been some splicing here and there, but there was nothing that was lost in the production.

I've always wondered if there were any songs that didn't make the album, being that there were only 5 songs. Is there any unreleased material from this LP hidden on a reel somewhere? Upon listening to the LP, there seems to be a lot of overdubbing, and the songs are incredibly long. How many sessions, and how many takes were needed to achieve this? Overall, How long did the album take to finish?

Well for one there was not much overdubbing at all, everything you heard was real, and although there were only five songs on the LP, in those days, especially with disco that is how it was.

Some of these songs were so long, I can't imagine radio touching music like that these days with all the 3 minute pop songs current format. Was radio more willing to play long songs back in those days, or was this LP recorded with extended club dance floor play in mind?

There were several versions recorded, not only the LP version, but 12 inch version as well, and also AM and FM versions that had to be done. AM radio was more vital at that time than FM radio. So the mix had to be completed with all versions in mind. It took a good while for the LP to be completed, because of so much work that had to be done in order for the LP to be played on the airwaves. In those days you had to be very careful on what could be played and what could not, a lot of things were censored then, nowadays it is a totally different story. Radio is so different now, if radio and record companies had the disgression that we had then, I feel there would be more respect and dignity in our music industry today.

Forget "I Will Survive", to me "It Ain't No Big Thing" is the ultimate break up song in disco! Your attitude is so mature, and you come off so non chalant in this song, I love it. That's what I've always strived for, in a break up. Are you like that at all in real life? Did you have to think of anyone or any experience in particular to relate the lyrics to?

When I recorded It Ain't No Big Thing, to be honest, I was just singing a song, I cannot really say that I was thinking of anyone or anything at the time. As I speak to many of my fans today, I am very humble and thankful that they have testimonies regarding how It Ain't No Big Thing changed so many of thier lifes. I never thought that this song would have been a life changing experience for so many people, however I am very grateful.

I love Mr. Blindman. Who is "Mr. Blindman" to you?

Who is Mr. Blindman?, well, he is a man that seem to have not realized how his woman truly loved him. She tried to explain to him how she needed his love, but he could not see the love she had for him, so that is why he was called Mr. Blindman.

"Make It Last Forever", and "Do as I Do" have to be some of the sexiest songs ever made in disco. Every time I play them, the vibe in the room changes. Were you shy at all when recording this? Is that you on the overdubs moaning?

As far as as Do as I do, and Make It Last forever, no I was not shy, and there was no overdubbing on any of my moans. When I recorded those sounds, Everyone was put out of the studio, except for my engineer and my producer, they shut off all the lights in the booth where they were and where I was, and left me one little light, and they told me to do whatever I felt like saying, and I did, so that is what came out, it only took one take, I was just performing, that's all. However I am glad you and others enjoy it so much. ~~lol~~
funkiness
Site Admin

Message par funkiness »

Sur "Make It Last Forever", tout le monde avait été prié de quitter le studio. Elle était seule avec son producteur et l'ingénieur du son, qui se sont délibérément mis dans l'ombre. On lui a dit "fais comme tu le sens", et elle l'a fait, spontanément, en une seule prise.
Karim75

Message par Karim75 »

Superbe album.......
Jean

Message par Jean »

Je replussoie... Ça c'est du vrai album, même chère la cote est justifiée, parce que dedans il y a des pépites, c'est comme les cookies maison bien chauds avec des pépites dedans, avec le bon goût que seul sait leur donner la cuisinière (ou le cuisinier) rien à voir avec les pépitos aseptisés, qui ressemblent à n'importe quel autre, qui te donnent soif quand tu les mâche :lol:

En plus je dis ça, mais je ne l'ai toujours pas (enfin j'ai la rééd vinyle mais pas l'OG), mais c'est un disque que je finirai par rentrer. Il y en avait un dans les 100 euros à l'avant dernière conv à Champé, mais la cover était un peu abimée...

Revpop tu devrais te pencher sur les autres productions Patrick Adams / Greg Carmichael, il y en a pas mal de listées déjà.

Le Cloud One en revanche, sympathique mais plus dispensable pour moi.
funkiness
Site Admin

Donna McGhee - Make It Last Forever (Deluxe Edition)

Message par funkiness »

Donna McGhee - Make It Last Forever (Groove Line GLRLP 0001, 2014) (Deluxe Edition)

Réédition double vinyle audiophile de ce joyau de modern soul dans le cadre du Record Store Day anglais.
Sorti le 21 avril. À ne pas louper.

extraits

Sujet ici :cool:
Wonder B

Re: Donna McGhee - Make It Last Forever (Deluxe Edition)

Message par Wonder B »

Déjà épuisé partout! :mrgreen:
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
funkiness
Site Admin

Message par funkiness »

Wonder B a écrit :Déjà épuisé partout! :mrgreen:
Non, pas vraiment. Il pourrait y en avoir en ligne à partir de demain.

Le label a annoncé qu'il avait ajouté 250 copies aux 500 annoncées.
funkiness
Site Admin

Message par funkiness »

Chopé à l'instant ! Qu'est-ce que je disais ! :cool:

T'es un impayable pessimiste Wonder B :P
Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Non pas forcément ça dépend des circonstances. Là j'ai reçu (comme toi) un email de Juno pour acheter le bazar et la seconde suivante, sur leur site, c'est déjà épuisé... Alors forcément ça énerve! LOL
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
Phil

Message par Phil »

From Juno : Release date: 28 April 2014

Je vais peut-être l'acheter, si c'est possible...
It's what's in the grooves that count
Répondre