R.I.P. Boogie

ils nous ont quittés

Funky admins : funkiness, Wonder B

Répondre
Wonder B

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par Wonder B »

Il n'y avait qu'un seul BOOGIE c'est pourquoi je n'ai mis que son surnom par lequel tout le monde lui adressait la parole...

Cordell Boogie Mosson est parti rejoindre Belinda, Garry, Tiki, Mallia, Glenn, Ray, Eddie, Ray et les autres dans le grand orchestre P-Funk In The Sky...

Le bassiste/guitariste/batteur/chanteur, membre du Rock'n Roll Hall Of Fame et l'un des musiciens incontournables de la galaxie P-Funk, même si sa nature paisible et presque timide font qu'il est moins 'connu' que certains de ses pairs, nous as quitté cette nuit.

Boogie dans les débuts de Parliament-Funkadelic (à la basse) avec Ray & Grady devant et l'inimitable Bigfoot à la batterie...

Boogie avec un de ses costumes de scène les plus fameux...

Boogie & Garry vieux potes. Ensemble ils fondèrent U.S. Soul qui sortit un single à l'époque
et l'album complet en 2009 sur Westbound.

R.I.P. Boogie (16 Octobre 1952 - 18 Avril 2013)

Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
Adriok

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par Adriok »

C'est bien triste surtout qu'il n'était pas si âgé... Le meilleur bassiste du P selon moi après Bootsy et avec Skeet Curtis.
funkiness
Site Admin

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par funkiness »

:(
R.I.P. Boogie.

Un message de Daniel P. Bedrosian (claviers) posté par Michael Clip Payne sur sa page FB

CORDELL "BOOGIE" MOSSON, the ultimate FUNK theologian, one of P-FUNK's most pivotal and vital musicians (bass, guitar, drums and vocals), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member, and one of my teachers, has passed away today. We lost more information, lessons, and vast rare funk knowledge today, then most learn in a lifetime. Much like the last of the samurai, the end of the era of the pyramid builders, and the passing of an age, vast sums of knowledge are now lost. For those few of us to have studied under him (Boog's tenure with P-funk starts in 1971, and his Plainfield NJ roots go back much further, giving him preponderance in the P-Funk histories), we must go on with the knowledge we have been imparted by Boog's far seeing vision of funk theory. Boog's knowledge and understanding of Rhythm, the ONE, the Pocket, and the FEEL of P-FUNK, was UNMATCHED. We in Parliament-Funkadelic, wish to send our prayers to Boog's family, and with extreme sadness, we say our worldly goodbye to our brother, our uncle, our friend, our teacher, our valued, trusted, master of musical expression: CORDELL "BOOGIE" MOSSON (October 16th, 1952 - April 18th, 2013)
by Daniel P. Bedrosian - PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC (keyboardist)
funkiness brings you funk and happiness
Doc Emett Brown

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par Doc Emett Brown »

Pffff... C'est triste. Un autre de mes héros qui s'en va. Musicien sous-estimé mais quel groove. Lui et Garry Shider étaient quasiment inséparables.
Wonder B

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par Wonder B »

Je ne post que rarement des textes 100% en anglais mais celui-ci le mérite vraiment comme un témoignage irréel de la cérémonie funéraire de Boogie.
Je n'arrive pas à m'imaginer le pasteur en train de parler de Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On dans son omélie et ce avec un orchestre 'P' jouant pendant toute la cérémonie en sourdine... :lol:

C'est Bob Davis, le fondateur de http://www.soul-patrol.com qui parle...

First off let me say that I mean no disrespect. But Cordell "Boogie" Mosson of P-Funk's funeral this morning was off the chain.

First of all it was in Plainfield, NJ. And Plainfield is truly home of the FUNK.

I mean where else can you go and the minister is a stone cold funkateer. I have heard of a minister speaking in "tongues." But this is the first time I have ever seen a minister speak in P-Funk lingo :)

Or tell the congregation that the theme of the service was "STANDING ON THE VERGE" and it was time for everybody to "GET IT ON."

Or tell us the story of how Boogie taught a group of young musicians (including himself) at the "clubhouse" how to play all of the individual instrumental parts of "One Nation Under a Groove," on the fly just before a local talent show back in the 1970's.
His eulogy was so FUNKIN spectacular, that I dare not even try to repeat it. I can't possibly do it justice. Our friend Daryl Moon was in the house, shooting some video, so perhaps it will one day make an appearance on the internet.

Dr. Brookenstien was also in the house.
So was Tim Kinsley.
Idella Madison.
Kevin Goins was there singing lead.
And many other "funk soldiers" that I have known over the years.

Special props go out to our friend Blanche Valentine.
She is far too humble to say it. And I won't go into the details.
But if not for her intervention, this funeral might not have taken place at all. (and I will leave it at that)

Boogies wife spoke.
George's granddaughter spoke.
One of Boogie's longtime friends, a police officer from Lakewood, NJ spoke.

And then there was the band....it was a full blown funk band. (minus horns, but including a 12 string guitarist....lol)

Just a bunch of local guys from Plainfield. But if you know musicians from Plainfield, then you know that it is going to be the bomb. Those of you from the DC area are familiar with the P-Funk cover band "Clones of Funk."

(This makeshift band of musicians from Plainfield would smoke the "Clones of Funk.")

They played a P-Funk greatest hits set (at low volume) all during the proceeding. Swing Low.. Standing on the Verge Knee Deep P-Funk (Want's To Get Funked Up) And more...

And then at the end the minister told the band to "cut loose." And they did. They "tore the roof off the sucka" as the casket was wheeled up the center aisle of the church & out the door, as it make it's way out to the hearse.

And as the folks on both sides of the church filtered out of the church behind the casket, they did so "with a glide in their stride & an dip in their hip."

What a way to go out.
I know that Boogie was smilin!!!!

I've never seen such a sight before.
But I'll tell you what...
...now that I have seen it.

(That's what I want at my funeral)

RIP Cordell "Boogie" Mosson

The service was quite inspirational on a personal level. The whole thing, from the setting in Plainfield, the venue Ruth Fellowship (which felt like a large storefront church), the various characters inside were all quite reminiscent of people from a 70's era Blaxploitation filck and more. I saw people there that I know, who knew me, whose names I didn't know, but I knew that I was where I was supposed to be.

Almost all of the people there that I did know, were people who have all been a part of Soul-Patrol in one way or another, since damn near the time when the site first started. In some cases, before there was even a website at all :)

It had the whole Funkadelic "Music From My Mother" groove.
IT WAS RAW FUNK. (and NOT just on a musical level)

It was a reminder to me of what the real roots of what I have been doing on the internet actually are.

After I dropped off Brookenstien & Tim Kinsley off at the Plainfield train station, I drove back to S. Jersey. I was driving back from Plainfield to S. Jersey, I kept hearing the voice of Fuzzy inside of my head singing....

"Man, I was in a place called keep runnin', Mississippi one time And I heard someone on my way by
Sounded a little something like raw funk to me
So I slowed down and took a listen And this is all I could hear, baby

Whoa, hey, whoa
Whoa, hey, whoa
Whoa, hey, whoa
Whoa, hey, whoa
Whoa, hey, whoa, whoa

It got so good to me, man, that I stopped runnin'
My feet was tired anyhow
So I reached in my inside pocket and got my harp out
Sit down by old beat up railroad train
And get me get myself a little of that old funky thang

Yeah,
Whoa, hey, whoa
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Can you all feel what I mean?
This is what you call way back yonder funk
Whoa, hey, whoa, whoa, hey, whoa
Whoa, hey, whoa, whoa, hey, whoa
Whoa, hey, whoa, whoa, hey, whoa"

And boy was that inspirational for me!
Bob Davis
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
Doc Emett Brown

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par Doc Emett Brown »

Hé bien... ça remue tout ça...
Wonder B

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par Wonder B »

C'est un enterrement de rêve ça...
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
bluesy

R.I.P. Boogie

Message par bluesy »

R.I.P. :?
Peut être un jour la vidéo sur internet comme il l'écrit.

"Music For My Mother" :love1: est une vraie tuerie et c'est sur mon album préféré de Funkadelic.
"Music Makes You Move" : Funkhouse Express (1974) so... "HIT THAT ONE!" : JB
"They Call Us Wild But We Got Soul" : Wild Magnolias (1975)
Répondre