Page 1 sur 1

Lady Jane - Here I Am Baby

Posté : 28 sept. 2026 12:00
par bluesy
Lady Jane – Here I Am Baby (Presious Music AR 5672, 1980)

Image
zoom


Titres

A1 Here I Am Baby
A2 Never Lived In The Ghetto
A3 Space Flight

B1 Things Have Got To Change
B2 Don't Nobody Love You Like I Do
B3 Do You Know What You're Talking About
B4 She's A Star



Crédits

Mastering : Eric Morgenson


zoom zoom



Réédition LP en 2026

Lady Jane – Here I Am Baby (Athens Of The North AOTNLP 090, 2026)

Image
zoom

ATHENS OF THE NORTH a écrit :
Lost Soul Super Rarity “Here I Am Baby” by Lady Jane reissued by Athens of the North

Rare 1980 Detroit funk-soul LP finally surfaces after 45 years, revealing a powerful story of survival and artistic resilience

Edinburgh based label Athens of the North is pleased to announce the reissue of Here I Am Baby, the only studio album by soul and funk vocalist Lady Jane (Jane Brice), originally recorded at Studio A, in Dearborn Heights and privately released in 1980.

Lady Jane recorded these sessions during a turbulent period in Detroit in the late 1970s, working with respected engineer Eric Morgeson and a studio band on material largely written by her then-husband.

The album remained virtually unknown for decades, with copies destroyed in a flood and masters held by her ex-husband. A chance discovery by Friends of Sound Records founder David Haffner in 2022 set the reissue in motion. Remarkably, before his death, Jane’s ex-husband returned the original master tapes to her—yielding not only the complete multitracks for Here I Am Baby, but an entire album’s worth of unreleased material, also coming soon on AOTN.

Here I Am Baby showcases Jane’s extraordinary voice across a compelling blend of soul, funk, and disco, from the opening ballad through heavy funk excursions like “Never Lived In The Ghetto” and “Space Flight”. The album’s final track, “She’s A Star” - the only song Jane wrote herself - carries profound personal significance. Recorded without her husband’s knowledge, the song directly addresses her survival of childhood sexual abuse and stands as a moving testament to resilience and self-belief.

Now an ordained minister, Jane Brice has spent decades away from the spotlight. But her voice—at once forceful, delicate, and vulnerable—deserves to be heard.
Newly mastered from the recovered tapes, Here I Am Baby and the forthcoming Miss Disco present not merely a rare funk-soul artifact, but a powerful document of a woman’s courage
Source : Athens Of The North


:study:

Paru le 25 septembre 2026.

zoom


ENJOY!


:discjokey:

Le titre "Never Lived In The Ghetto" (A2) possède ce groove rappelant les soundtracks des films d'action 70's, ambiance Blaxploitation - Soul Cinema et colle parfaitement au titre avec une sensation d'urgence / oppression. Très bon.

"Space Flight" (A3) est très accrocheur : je visualise le vaisseau spatial de Parliament. :P

Autre titre qui retient mon attention : "Things Have Got To Change" (B1).

L'ensemble de l'album demeure dans une même sonorité rythmique avec une ambiance plus latine sur "She's A Star" (B4).
Une belle découverte. :P


"Here I Am Baby" (A1) pourrait plaire à RevPop. :cool:


FACE A

Lady Jane_1980_"Here I Am Baby" (A1) Image



Lady Jane_1980_"Never Lived In The Ghetto" (A2) :afro: :drunk:



Lady Jane_1980_"Space Flight" (A3) :afro: :drunk:




FACE B

Lady Jane_1980_"Things Have Got To Change" (B1) Image



Lady Jane_1980_"Don't Nobody Love You Like I Do" (B2)



Lady Jane_1980_"Do You Know What You're Talking About" (B3)



Lady Jane_1980_"She's A Star" (B4) :djumbe:





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady JANE sur Funk-O-Logy

-->Lady Jane - Here I Am Baby (Presious Music AR 5672, 1980) / (Athens Of The North AOTNLP 090,2026)