Jimmy Lewis – Totally Involved

Funk, Soul, Deep Funk, Deep Soul, Soul Funk…

Funky admins : funkiness, Wonder B, silverfox

Répondre
bluesy

Message par bluesy »

Jimmy Lewis - Totally Involved (Hotlanta HA500000, 1974)

Titres

A1 It Ain't What's On The Woman 5:11
A2 There Ain't No Man That Can't Be Caught 3:16
A3 Is That Any Way To Treat A Lady 4:05
A4 How Long Is A Heartache Suppose To Last 3:48

B1 Thank You 3:54
B2 o On Live Your Life 3:42
B3 That Won't Stop Me From Loving You 4:29
B4 Help Me Understand You 4:02

Crédits

Gloria Jones, Susaye Greene, Oma Heard : chœurs
Jimmy Lewis : chant
Wilton Felder : basse
Henry Davis : basse
David T. Walker : guitare
Arthur Wright : guitare
Pete Fox : guitare
Ed Greene : batterie
King Ericson, Joe Clayton : percussions
James Carmichael : claviers

Composition : Jimmy Lewis
Arrangements : Jimmy Lewis, Arthur "Sleepy" Wright
Production : Jimmy Lewis

Présentation

Une pochette qui attire l’œil et une Soul superbe, merveilleuse, accompagnée par la superbe et puissante voix de Jimmy Lewis. Les choristes ne sont pas en reste, c'est jouissif, plaisant, les mots ne sont pas utiles.
Je regrette une chose, de ne pas avoir trouvé un lien d'écoute pour tous les titres puissamment chantés et orchestrés.
Ce n'est que ma première écoute de l'album et je suis plus que séduite, admirative qd le Soulman pousse son cri de détresse, son appel, renversant. :drunk:
Émotion en ce qui me concerne, dès le premier titre et "How Long Is A Heartache Suppose To Last" (A4) est à tomber vocalement parlant, musicalement c'est aussi parfait ; pas de lien d'écoute. :?

J'ai à la fois pensé à Wilson Pickett pour l'aspect hurleur mais Jimmy Lewis est 100% Soul et donc m'a aussi rappelé, par certaines vibrations vocales, Bobby Womack (autre artiste que j'aime).
Cet album de Jimmy Lewis devrait ravir les âmes des mordus du genre musical. Un artiste qui mérite largement un sujet : un talent à l'état pur. :cool:

Une bio, en anglais, trouvée sur SoulMusicHQ :
"Singer/songwriter Jimmy Lewis first came to my notice in late ’64 when he made a record as lead vocalist with Bill Pinkney & his Original Drifters called ‘Don’t Call Me’ on FONTANA, that was produced by James Brown. He only stayed with the group for a few months but despite some solo singles on ERA I didn’t hear of him again until ’67 when MINIT issued ‘The Girls From Texas’ that has remained among my all time favourites ever since. Vocally Lewis has been compared to Joe Tex, Don Covay, Wilson Pickett even Sam Cooke (with a rasp) but he was very much the individual with a positive attitude and a wry sense of humour.
Jimmy’s biggest hit was with Ray Charles when ‘If It Wasn’t For Bad Luck’ went to #21 US R&B/77 Pop in September ’69. Lewis went on to write and arrange Charles’ Grammy nominated Doing His Thing ABC album. Jimmy had a medium solo hit single with ‘Help Me Understand You’ on HOTLANTA in April ’75 and later still in May ’84 ‘Street Freaks’ went to #50 US R&B. Compared with his contemporaries Lewis wasn’t a big star but his talents were well understood by Bobby Bland, Ray Charles, Bobby Womack, Johnnie Taylor, Albert King, Jimmy Holiday, ZZ Hill and a host of other fine singers who have recorded his songs.
Critics and fans seem to agree that his best work can be found on the highly recommended HOTLANTA ’74 album Totally Involved that has been hailed as a classic and reissued (with extras) by COLLECTABLES in the USA, BLUES INTERACTIONS in Japan and KENT in the UK. Lewis spent ten years writing and producing (though not recording) for MALACO then Ray Charles renewed their 30-year association in the mid ‘90s when he used Lewis talents again for his Would You Believe and Strong Love Affair[/i] albums. At that time Lewis started his own label MISS BUTCH who had their biggest hit with Peggy Scott-Adams and ‘Bill’ (1997). Jimmy lived most of his life in Los Angeles. He moved there in ’57 from Itta Bena, Greenwood, Mississippi where he was born in 1939 and grew up. A few years ago he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and that was said to be in remission but sadly that was not the case, the multitalented Jimmy Lewis died on 10 September ’04 a victim to Liver cancer aged 64."

FACE A

Jimmy Lewis_1974_"It Ain't What's On The Woman" (A1)

Jimmy Lewis_1974_"There Ain't No Man That Can't Be Caught" (A2)

Jimmy Lewis_1974_"Is That Any Way To Treat A Lady" (A3)

FACE B

Jimmy Lewis_1974_"Thank You" (B1)

Jimmy Lewis_1974_"That Won't Stop Me From Loving You" (B3)

Jimmy Lewis_1974_"Help Me Understand You" (B4)
- http://www.iomoio.com/song/3229917_jimm ... nload.html

Jimmy Lewis (19 novembre 1939 - 10 septembre 2004)

Modifié en dernier par bluesy le 01 févr. 2016 01:37, modifié 5 fois.

"Music Makes You Move" : Funkhouse Express (1974) so... "HIT THAT ONE!" : JB
"They Call Us Wild But We Got Soul" : Wild Magnolias (1975)
Jean

Message par Jean »

Un album sympathique et assez facile à trouver...
Revpop

Re: Jimmy Lewis – Totally Involved

Message par Revpop »

Up !
Pour ce très bel album de Southern Soul de ce chanteur que l'on a comparé à Sam Dees ("The songwriting is excellent, with the kind of sophisticated yet rootsy sound that you’d get from 70s geniuses like Sam Dees or Sidney Joe Qualls") dont voici de nouveaux extraits :

There Ain't No Man That Can't Be Caught :

How Long Is A Heartache Suppose To Last :

Go on Live Your Life :

That Won't Stop Me From Loving You ;
bluesy

Message par bluesy »

Jimmy Lewis

Source : Ace Records
"Music Makes You Move" : Funkhouse Express (1974) so... "HIT THAT ONE!" : JB
"They Call Us Wild But We Got Soul" : Wild Magnolias (1975)
Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Super photo!!!! Thanks Bluesy! :drunk:
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
Répondre