O.C. Tolbert - You Got Me Turned Around

Funk, Soul, Deep Funk, Deep Soul, Soul Funk…

Funky admins : funkiness, Wonder B, silverfox

Répondre
bluesy

Message par bluesy »

O.C. Tolbert - You Got Me Turned Around (Timmion Finland LP 006, 2011)

Titres

A1 I'm Shooting High (I Reach For The Sky)
A2 You Got Me Turned Around
A3 The Grown Folks Thing
A4 Everybody Wants To Do Their Own Thing - Thing
A5 Message To Mankind

B1 All I Want Is You
B2 Let Me Be Your Only Man
B3 Goodness
B4 Fix It
B5 See What He Can Do

Extraits de l'album :
- http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/435616-01.htm

L'album est paru le 28 septembre 2011 : de très bons titres Soul et l'ensemble est plus que plaisant, want list oblige. :afro:
Artiste qui a fait les vocaux sur l'album de Damn Sam The Miracle Man & The Soul Congregation.
"Fix It" (titre B4) figure sur la compile SuperFunk's Mission Impossible (titre 17).

FACE A

O.C. Tolbert - "You Got Me Turned Around" (titre A2)

O.C. Tolbert - "Message To Mankind" (titre A5)

FACE B

O.C. Tolbert - "Goodness" (titre B3)

"Music Makes You Move" : Funkhouse Express (1974) so... "HIT THAT ONE!" : JB
"They Call Us Wild But We Got Soul" : Wild Magnolias (1975)
Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Comment il s'arrache le gosier sur FIX IT!!! LOL C'est fort!
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
bluesy

Message par bluesy »

La playlist est différente sur le cd : 22 titres sur le cd contre 10 sur le vinyle.
Un livret de 15 pages accompagne le cd : sa bio, son parcours, des photos...
Idem pour le vinyle, un livret est présent, le même que le vinyle, semble-t-il (voir ci-après).

O.C. Tolbert (11-juil-1944 – 09-nov-1996)

Playlist du cd
1. "Let Me Be Your Only Man"
2. "That’s Enough"
3. "You Gotta Hold On Me"
4. "I’m Shooting High (I Reach For The Sky"
5. "You Got Me Turned Around"
6. "A Message To The Black Woman"
7. "Goodness"
8. "Message To Manking"
9. "Rough Side Of The Mountain"
10. "Where Were You ?"
11. "Give It To Glory"
12. "That’s All She Wrote"
13. "Hard Times"
14. "The Grown Folks Thing"
15. "Fix It"
16. "Everybody Wants To Do Their Own Thing"
17. "Along Came A Woman"
18. "Ride The Gospel Train"
19. "Back To The Dust"
20. "Somebody Is Here With Me"
21. "I’ll Take It All"
22. "All I Want Is You"

Quel bonheur cette compile, 69mn17 de pur son qui déchire et cette voix poussée à son max sur des morceaux comme "You Gotta Hold On Me" (titre 3), "Goodness" (titre 7), etc. !!!!!

Infos complémentaires
The man is O.C. “Arthur Cleveland” Tolbert, also known like « The Miracle Man » or tolbert or damn sam the miracle man and the soul congregation or rev. o.c. tolbert and the blues congregation or king diamond or “The Tolbert Family Singers featuring Brother O C Tolbert” !!!
Don’t mistake O.C. Tolbert for other soul funk artists such as israel tolbert or « Joni Tolbert”, the female singer of CJ & Co.
The hereunder records hasn’t pretend to list the full discography of O.C. Tolbert. However, you could listen to different samples of his music ranging from the raw Gospel Funk to the Mellow Soul. Besides, if you have further information about this artist, feel free to give it us !
As Marvin Gaye, his father was a roving preacher and he went from church to church preaching the word in Alabama, and he always had our boy by his side. When O.C. was ten he was singer enough to lead the choirs at the churches where his father would preach.
O.C. had a natural talent for singing, but he found that, like his father, he had the talent of getting people to join in and participate in the festivities. He sang and played gospel music at a nursing home for a period of time in Selma, Alabama (where he was born) at the same time appearing on TV every Sunday. He developed the residents of the nursing home into such a good choir that they appeared on TV with him every other Sunday.
O.C. was a man determined to conquer all worlds, so, in 1966, he decided to start singing rhythm and blues. In 1967, he went to Detroit to find fame. He was told by a well known large record company to come for an audition a year later. He immediately disliked large record companies and went to a small one, and recorded, but…
Then he met a mover, who was very much like himself. The man ? Jack Taylor, of course ! And other movers joined their effort, (which was to bring you this album), and pretty soon they had a congregation. Oh ! There was Jack Taylor producing ; Ben Littles directing music ; Love Star Music, writing lyrics ; O.C., A.J. Branham and Rudy Thompson on vocals ; Dave Newton, drums ; Greg Whitfield, electric congos/bongos ; Tony Trice, bass ; Tobby Childs, guitar ; Johnathan Scott, lead guitar ; Ben James, keyboards ; Good Sister, tambourine ; Ben Littles, trombone/trumpet ; Lewellen Sutherland, tenor sax ; and Richard “Sonny Bobby” Dilligard, trumpet.
This congregation of movers went into the studio and Damn Sam The Miracle Man was Born. Yes, we know.
O.C. and Jack Taylor released many recordings on different label out of Detroit or NYC among which Jack’s labels such as Tay-ster, Rolyat Production, Power house, New Day et Rojac Records, and most likely other ones like Kent (UK)…
Regarding the OC Tolbert‘s discography, we can identify 2 main periods, on the one hand from the 70s with his raw funk sound like on his album Damn Sam The Miracle Man and The Soul Congregation and on the other hand, from the 80s with his pure modern soul singles on « Rojac Records» among which his ultra rare single "I’ve Got It" that it has already sold at more than US$ 4,000 !!!

Source : - http://www.choonz.com/2011/03/damn-sam- ... tion-1970/

Le sujet sur Damn Sam The Miracle Man and The Soul Congregation.
Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

J'ai reçu mon LP hier... Le carton est à l'ancienne super épais. Magnifique édition!
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
bluesy

Message par bluesy »

Tu ne seras pas déçu.
J'ai opté pour le cd que j'ai écouté d'une traite : O.C. Tolbert m'a scotchée par sa voix qu'il pousse à la limite de la cassure, les titres sont magnifiques, rien à jeter.
Wonder B

Message par Wonder B »

Absolument!
Sworn to fun
Loyal to none
Répondre

Funk-o-logues actuellement en ligne

Utilisateurs parcourant ce forum : Chess et 157 extraterrestres